Slideshow complied by photo editor Laura Oda.

Story by Sandy Kleffman  http://www.insidebayarea.com/news/ci_21531445

image

Mrs. George Lunn manned a plow to break ground for a new building for the Children’s Hospital of the East Bay on Oct. 7, 1926 at 52nd and Dover Streets in Oakland, Calif. On the left is Mrs. R.A. Wilson and on the right is Mrs. Charles R. Lloyd and Mrs. H.H. Bower. (Oakland Tribune Archives)

Oakland, CA October 4, 1950 - Alameda sisters Delores and Eugenia Radford, both deaf, learn to talk by touching the throat and watching the lips of speech therapist Patricia Powell at Children’s Hospital. Children’s Hospital was founded by women in 1912 and celebrates 100 years. (Russ Reed / Oakland Tribune Staff Archives)
http://www.childrenshospitaloakland.org/
Copyright of the Oakland Tribune, Bay Area News Group

Oakland, CA October 4, 1950 - Alameda sisters Delores and Eugenia Radford, both deaf, learn to talk by touching the throat and watching the lips of speech therapist Patricia Powell at Children’s Hospital. Children’s Hospital was founded by women in 1912 and celebrates 100 years. (Russ Reed / Oakland Tribune Staff Archives)

http://www.childrenshospitaloakland.org/

Copyright of the Oakland Tribune, Bay Area News Group